Pagina 3 van 5
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 14:08
door Tedski
Nice bikes Mark.
I thought the Honda's with the possibility of pedalling were limited to the dutch market due to the regulations here that a moped had to be able to be pedalled, apparently not.
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 17:37
door markking
Thanks Tedski. No, until August 1977 a 16 year-old could ride a 50cc bike as long as it had pedals, the government at the time assumed we'd all be riding around at 30mph on Mobylette's and Puch Maxi's etc. There was no restriction on top speed or power output because it wasn't thought neccessary. The manufacturers exploited this loophole in the law and fitted pedals to proper 50cc motorcycles, and before you knew it, a 16 year old could be on the road, with no training, doing 50mph+, and in this golden era (1973-77), sports moped sales went ballistic!
As far too much fun was being had by all, in 1977 the government decided that it was no longer a requirement to have pedals, but the design speed of these bikes must be 30mph maximum. Moped sales dwindled from this point onwards, as did sales of all motorcycles, as most 16 year old's didn't bother, and just waited until they were 17 and bought a car instead, and so were lost to motorcycling forever.
You could still ride a pre-77 bike at 16 after this date, but as time went on they got harder to find.
What are the rules in Holland regarding mopeds?
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 17:51
door Eric
Back in the days you needed the pedals + a white part at de back of you rear mudgard. Also the max speeds of that the bik could go whas and stil is 45kmh(30mph). Also the wheels had to be min 17".
But the youth here has to wait 2 (18) ears before they are aloud to drive a motorcycle ore a car. And when you start riding a motorcycle, you have to start with a small bike lake a Honda cb125/250. You'r not aloud to drive a R1 that has no ristrictions ...
Now the mopeds can have small wheels, no white rear fender and no pedals.

Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 18:00
door markking
Thanks eric, I was always curious about the white fender I see on the Dutch bikes, so do I understand correctly, if a bike has pedals and a white fender, it is restricted by design to 30mph? How was this achieved on an SS50?
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 18:09
door Eric
I forgot the yellow plat on the frond fender. When this one is orange, the max speed is 16 or 17mph and you don't need a helmed. Whe call that a "snorfiets". You would name that a "mofa" ? There is no ss witch had a orange plate on the front fender. They are all mopeds and you need a helmed.
Oure restrictions.
Flywheel that made the timing go late
long piston for the throttle in the 12mm carburetor
I don't know for sure if they did somethink with the airfilter ore the exhoust.
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 18:32
door markking
As standard, the UK zk1-e also had a 12mm carb with a long throttle slide, and a fixed timing flywheel that sparked at 30deg BTDC. It was fairly slow but would still do 40mph. the later 5-speed zb2-e had a 20mm carb and a 20-35deg advancing flywheel and would do 50mph. Apart from the extra gear, and the changes I mention, they were mechanically similar. The fastest SS50 in the UK would have been the Z model as it also had the big carb, advancing flywheel, 5-speed, and fast camshaft (still available, and I have the part number if anyone wants it). Here is the fast cam, left, compared to the standard item. I have one, but be warned, it will only work in a 50 cylinder head. Due to the extra overlap, the valves clash if used in a 70 head. You Honda experts will probably know this already.

Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 18:48
door Eric
forgot the cam...

Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 19:01
door butt head
so far I know, the quick 5 gears camshafts already have a number of years not available. just a reproduction s65 camshaft.
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 19:14
door markking
David Silver can still get them, £40.85 + delivery, that's where mine came from.
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 101035613/
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 19:39
door butt head
that is the s65 cam as I mean. just look at cms to the part number

Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 19:49
door markking
CL70/S65 cam is 14101-035-020, slightly less lift and duration. I use one of these in my 70 head.

Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 20:39
door markking
markking schreef:Thanks eric, I was always curious about the white fender I see on the Dutch bikes, so do I understand correctly, if a bike has pedals and a white fender, it is restricted by design to 30mph? How was this achieved on an SS50?
I know of the word 'mofa' eric, but we don't use it in the UK, we just use 'moped'.
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 23 dec 2011 20:56
door Mano
Mark, are you doing anything Sunday 08 January ?
We have our first meeting of the year in the centre of Utrecht.
A great chance to meet most of the guys on our forum, ride with them(us) and have a couple of drinks after.
I know its a bit of a swim, but you might like it
by the way, cool name. made me dust off my old level 42 albums
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 24 dec 2011 11:17
door markking
Re: New to forum
Geplaatst: 26 dec 2011 00:43
door RobHonda
Wow Mark! That's a nice looking K1 you have! I was wondering what the round thing does that is attached to the left side of your front lamp. I found it on an other bike on your pictures too.
Good to see that these beautifull bike are still driven to cafés.